14 May 2011

Rant

Once upon a time commercial concerns wanted, and rewarded, loyalty.  The world has changed.  We had an insurance renewal notice for £488.  In years gone by, we would have renewed.  I phoned Churchill (for it is they) - first having looked up their 0800 number on the excellent 'saynoto0870' website - and said that we were looking at competitors.  I was then offered a "loyalty discount" of £166.  Just like that.  For one phone call.

Using comparison websites, I've just bought better insurance for £230 less, and Churchill has lost another disgruntled customer. 

The problem with this evolving state of affairs is that I am taken for a sucker or I have to spend time and effort monitoring all relationships with service providers to make sure that they are not benefiting from the inertia effect.  I suppose that I'm just being old-fashioned, but I seem to spend inordinate chunks of time avoiding being ripped off.  I suppose that it's the way things work nowadays, and it's saddening.

No comments: